Urticaria or hives is an allergic condition characterized by itchy, red, raised patches on skin. These patches disappear in a few hours but reappear at the same or a new area. Generally, Urticaria can be easily treated and doesn’t cause much trouble to the person but in some cases it can get severe and chronic if it takes more than 6 weeks. The most common type of Urticaria only lasts for a day.
Causes: This is basically allergy; therefore, a few tests such as blood test and skin test are done to identify the causes. However, in the cases of chronic Urticaria the identification of primary cause is difficult through these tests. The main cause of Urticaria can be:
1. Food chemicals like additional colours and preservatives.
2. Food hypersensitivity or food intolerance.
3. Excess heat (sweat) or cold.
4. Certain drugs for e.g. antibiotics, painkillers, laxatives and medication for Blood pressure etc.
Treatment: The most preferred treatment for Urticaria is identifying and eliminating the trigger. However, it isn’t as easy as it sounds. Here are some treatment methods used by Dr. Nivedita Dadu for Urticaria Treatment in Delhi (west Delhi) at Skinology, the most preferred dermatologist in Rajouri Garden.
2. Anti-inflammatory medication
3. Dietary recommendations
Submit your review